Saturday, June 15, 2013

King Ranch Chicken Update




 

  Oh my goodness what a weekend we have had so far. Today we celebrated my son's 4th birthday. We threw him a Mario Brother's Party. I can't wait to show pictures in a post one day this week. It was a lot of fun. It was also his first soccer game today. Poor guy could only focus on his birthday party after the game that he didn't even play his first game. :(  He was so excited!!

King Ranch Chicken is one of our favorite dishes and we like to have it often. I usually season my chicken in the slow cooker prior to making this dish so it's easy to throw together. This is the recipe I typically use whole chicken cooked in the slow cooker. Well, one of my best friends is always talking about the simple way she seasons her chicken using one can of Rotel tomatoes with about 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker until it just falls a part . Oh my this was a PERFECT way of seasoning your chicken for this dish! It was flavored just right for King Ranch. This is what I used this time and I'm not sure I will ever make it another way again! YUM!! This dish is excellent served with Spanish rice, guacamole & salsa with corn tortilla chips. And if your up for it, a Margarita. :)


Ingredients:
  • 1 dozen corn tortillas
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 2-3 cups shredded chicken breast
  • 1 large green pepper, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2-4 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • garlic powder and salt to taste
  • 1 10 3/4oz can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 10 3/4oz can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 10 oz can of Rotel

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Cook chicken and shred. I use the shredded chicken that I previously seasoned, cooked, and froze for later use. You'll find that recipe here, whole chicken cooked in the slow cooker or you can use one can of Rotel tomatoes with about 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker until it just falls a part. Saute peppers and onions using the cooking oil. Blend all ingredients together in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.



3 comments :

  1. My grandmother always made this! I've always wondered about the recipe! Thank you for writing it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks great! Thanks so much for following A Handful of Everything! :) Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!! I found you at the Wonderful Wednesday party at Ducks 'n a Row!

    Happy Tuesday!
    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and would love a comment. Have a great day. :)