Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Almond Bear Claws


 

  I love making something special or different on the weekends for breakfast. Daily I receive emails from allrecipes.com. I few weeks ago I got this recipe and knew that I had to try it soon. These danishes look like they were really hard to prepare because they look so fancy, but they aren't hard at all. You can even make the filling ahead of time and buy already prepared pasty dough (which I totally did) so it's a no brainer on your relaxing Saturday morning. :) The almond flavor is delicious but I would also like to try different fillings as well. Maybe a chocolate, cherry, apple....  The possibilities seem endless.  Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

1/3 cup almond paste
2 3/4 cups ground almonds
1/2 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs whites
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons amaretto liqueur
3 pounds puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm)
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons sliced almonds, for garnish
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat almond paste with an electric mixer to break it apart. Add the almonds, sugar, and salt; continue to mix until the almond paste is no longer lumpy. Stir in the butter, egg whites, almond extract and amaretto liqueur on high speed until its as fluffy as you can get it. Set aside.






Using half of the dough at a time, roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle that is about 8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Trim the edges of the dough. Cut the dough in half lengthwise to make two 4 inch wide strips.

Fill a pastry bag halfway with the almond filling and pipe a stripe of filling down the center of each strip. (I used a sandwich bag instead of a pastry bag and it works just the same)



Whisk together the egg and water. Brush onto one edge of each strip. Fold each strip over the filling and press gently to seal it. Brush each piece with egg wash and sprinkle sliced almonds over the top. Cut into 3 to 4 inch pieces, then cut 1/2 inch slits into the sealed edge to make the "claws". Place the bear claws at least two inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate and repeat with the second half of the dough.



Bake in the preheated oven until almonds are toasted and pastry is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and dust with confectioners' sugar right before serving.





Source: All Recipes

14 comments :

  1. These look so good! I love anything with almonds and especially almond paste. Visiting from The Scoop and following you via Bloglovin'. Please visit me at my blog when you get a chance!
    http://www.musingsofavintagejunkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holy SCRMPTIOUS! I am SO going to try these. YUMmm...thanks for sharing!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...I love bear claws!!! Yours look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love for you to share this at my link party where we pin all those who join to our party board
    http://myfashionforwardblog.com/all-things-pretty-11/

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing with Random Recipe Roundup! :-D Zannie @ mymixingspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm .. it's been a long time since I have had a bear claw {I'd have to take the almonds out though -- not a fan of nuts.}

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look soooo good! I love almond bars.
    I'm visiting today from My Mixing Spoon. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tues-Sat for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum, these look delicious!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! One of my all time favorites, Bear Claws:) Amazing! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just pinned these and shared them on Facebook as one of the great features of this weeks Freedom Fridays!!

    Hugs

    PS Now following via GFC:)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious, Deanna!

    Thanks for linking up to The Creative HomeAcre Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i LOVE bear claws! but ... don't laugh: i never knew they were called that because they were shaped like bear claws! I mean, I knew they had the rough paw-shape, but yours have adorable little bear fingers!!!! TOO CUTE! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make these look too easy - I am going to have to make them for my family! Pinning them right now. :) Thank you for linking up this recipe to Tasty Tuesdays, hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and would love a comment. Have a great day. :)